Morning Music Notes – 1 Billion Facebook Users, 10 Real Life Friends
Love Me Do Turns 50
It was 50 years ago today
Sgt Pepper taught the band to play that the Beatles released their first single, Love Me Do (via Guardian). Sadly they were never heard from again. Well, the single did okay, hitting number 17 in the charts after 12 weeks. The Beatles were originally asked by producer George Martin to record a cover song for their first single, but they (wisely) elected for their own material.
The catchy ditty is not particularly strong lyrically – note the numerous one syllable words. However, it is harmonic, and has a harmonica, and is a good first single. Funny enough, when re-released 18 months later (at the height of the Beatlesmania pandemic), it hit Number 1 in the USA. Celebrate the landmark occasion by reminding your parents how old they are.
Indie Label Domino to Release Remix Album
Domino are compiling a remix album called Motion Sickness, which will feature remixes of their past and present artists (via Gigwise). The artists being remixed are Hot Chip, Austra, Franz Ferdinand, Junior Boys, and The Kills to name a few, with acts such as Justice, Matthew Dear, and Daphni doing the remixes. The album will be out on December 3, and the full tracklist is below.
Tracklist for Domino’s Motion Sickness
1. Austra – Beat & The Pulse (Still Going remix)
2. Tricky – Time To Dance (Maya Jane Coles remix)
3. Junior Boys – Like A Child (Carl Craig remix)
4. Juana Molina – Un Dia (Reboot remix)
5. About Group – You’re No Good (Theo Parrish remix)
6. Four Tet – Love Cry (Joy Orbison remix)
7. Liquid Liquid – Optimo (Matthew Dear remix)
8. Hot Chip – Night & Day (Daphni remix)
9. Stephen Malkmus – Kindling For The Master (Major Swellings remix)
1. Sons & Daughters – Orion (Emperor Machine remix)
2. Franz Ferdinand – The Fallen (Ruined by Justice)
3. The Kills – Cheap & Cheerful (SebastiAn remix)
4. Bonde Do Role – Marina Gasolina (Fake Blood remix)
5. Test Icicles – What’s Your Damage? (Alan Brax Fred Falke remix)
6. Clinic – Tomorrow (DFA Remix)
7. Blood Orange – Champagne Coast (Mike Simonetti remix)
8. Animal Collective – Summertimes Clothes (Dam Funk remix)
9. James Yorkston & Athletes – Woozy With Cider (Jon Hopkins remix)
10. Twin Sister – Kimmie In A Rice Field (Balam Acab remix)
11. Wild Beasts – Two Dancers (ii) (Oneohtrix Point Never remix)
Facebook Hits 1 Billion Active Users
– Over 1.13 trillion likes since launch in February 2009 (Likes seem like they’ve been around forever!)
– 140.3 billion friend connections
– 219 billion photos uploaded (excluding deleted photos)
– 17 billion location-tagged posts, including check-ins
– 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times – that’s about 210,000 years of music
As TechCrunch points out, this monumental achievement helped the Facebook share prices, um, not at all. It is down under $22. If you recall, the IPO was $38 back in May. It turns out 1 billion people can be wrong.
Listen! Sleigh Bells – Never Say Die (AraabMuzik Remix)
AraabMuzik has remixed Never Say Die (which sounds like a Bond theme song, no?) by Sleigh Bells. The track is off of Reign of Terror by Sleigh Bells, and is now an upbeat track with a club-like feel. Check out what happens when a noise rock band meets the club.